George Eastman House Annual Report 2011

Conservation & Preservation

 

This one-sheet poster for the film Hearts of the World (D. W. Griffith, US 1918) was conserved in January 2012 as part of the Selznick School curriculum.

A photomicrograph of a tear and an associated crease near the bottom left corner of a color carbro print by Nickolas Muray. The work was being examined in preparation for a 2012 loan to the Pera Museum (Istanbul, Turkey).

An incomplete fragment of the film Affinities (Ward Lascelle, US 1922) was preserved in 2012 by Selznick School student and Haghefilm Foundation Fellowship recipient Joshua Romphf at the Haghefilm Laboratory (Amsterdam, The Netherlands).

A ca. 1854 cased ambrotype of a young man yawning (left) and paper with printed text originally underneath the plate package on the bottom of the case (right). In preparation for inclusion in the exhibition See: Untold Stories, the leather covering the wooden case was reattached and stabilized, and the paper, in several pieces before treatment, was washed and then lined with Japanese paper.

The Innocence of Lizette (James Kirkwood, US 1916) was preserved with funding from the National Endowment for the Arts in 2012.

A new acquisition to the collection is cleaned by Alice Carver-Kubik (left) and 2011–2012 PPCM student Megan Kirschenbaum in advance of public display.

An x-ray fluorescence spectrum showing the elements present in the Frederick H. Evans 1896 platinum print Kelmscott Manor: From the Meadows that is held in the Photograph Collection. XRF analysis was conducted to confirm the photographic process.

Two-color Technicolor short The Love Charm (Thomas N. Heffron, US 1922), preserved by the museum in 2012, through the National Film Preservation Foundation/New Zealand Repatriation Project.

Before and after treatment on Alvin Langdon Coburn’s Vortograph, 1917 (printed ca. 1950), in preparation for loan to the exhibition Licht-Bilder: Fritz Winter und die Abstrakte Fotographie at Pinakothek der Moderne (Munich, Germany). Several pieces of deteriorated tape attached to the verso of the print were removed.